1. RATIFICATION : To join the Global community in reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions = Paris agreement will be ratified by INDIA on OCT 2. This is welcome step = Because - overcoming a reticence that was apparently linked to the failure to enter the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
2. EQUILIBRIUM : We need to balance Access to electricity V. curbing GHGs.
3. NOT RELEVANT : 61 country-parties responsible for 47.79 per cent of emissions have ratified it so far. If EU ratifies it = 55%
4. WHAT SHOULD BE DONE > • National consultative process on low carbon strategies • TO MEASURE THE CARBON : Every aspect of energy use would need precise measurement BUT several sectors of the economy are ill-equipped to do. • Increase the renewable energy capacity • New policy on urban design to curb emissions from buildings and transport = be embedded with laws.
5. COOPERATIVE - FEDERALISM : Above steps, need active participation of State governments.
6. CONCLUSION : Fundamentally, national policy should mandate even higher levels of taxes on fossil fuels and transfer the benefits to eco-friendly options, be it solar panels, efficient light bulbs, bicycles, green buses/trains, and greening initiatives.