Panel on water resources in northeast
1. Why : Due to flood hit in NE India + Japan joining hands to develop NE states.
2. Origin : PM announced on August 1- during visit to flood hit NE India
3. Department : Ministry for Development of North East Region (DoNER)
4. Head of the Committee : Vice-Chairman of the NITI Aayog
5. Other members : Secretaries from the ministries of DoNER, power, water resources, river development and Ganga rejuvenation, National Disaster Management Authority, departments of border management and space and the chief secretaries of all the eight states of the region.
6. Report submission date : June 2018.
7. Work of the committee : To study and offer suggestions on how to better utilise the water resources in the Northeastern region of India.
Viz : Facilitate optimising benefits of appropriate water management in the form of hydro-electric power, agriculture, bio-diversity conservation, Reduced flood damage erosion, hydropower. Matters on inland water transport, forestry, fishery and eco-tourism Help establish first-user rights to the waters of the Brahmaputra.
Bangladesh inks deal with India
Fact : Bangladesh signed a $4.5-billion loan deal with India Agreement : Third line of credit (LoC) agreement For ? Developing its infrastructure, health and education. Interest rate : Rate of 1% a year for 20 yrs – 5 yrs grace period
Benefits to India : By agreement Bangladesh must purchase 65 to 75 per cent of the services, goods or works from the Indian market Bank involved : Export-Import Bank of India.
Projects identified : 17 development projects had been identified under the deal. Viz : Set up new economic zones for Indian and other investors and other works including electricity, railways, roads, shipping and ports.
Earlier Deals : Bangladesh has two other LoCs open with India: In 2010 + 2016= Tk3.06 billion 2010 - Project delay in implementation 2016 - Projects yet to start
Japan signals intent on Silk Road
Notwithstanding its engagement with India, Japan signalled to take advantage of the China-led Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT>
1. Japan’s logistics giant Nippon Express signed a major cargo with Kazakhstan’s state railway company to transport goods from China’s east coast to Europe through Central Asia.
FACT FOR PRELIMS : The “steel silk road”/ railway - is one of the most visible symbols of the BRI, which has a sweeping land and maritime dimension of seamless connectivity between Asia, Europe and Africa.
2. Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry has set up a liaison office in China. 3. Japan’s mega banks, including the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ and Mizuho Bank, have also looking for expanding their China operations. 4. Mr. Abe paid a surprise visit at a ceremony marking China’s National Day — a step that no Japanese Prime Minister has taken in the last 15 years.
ESSENTIAL FACTS FOR PRELIMS : 05/10/2017
FACT 1 : LAUNCH OF ERO NETWORK • Election Commission of India launched a web-based application, Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) network.
• FOR WHAT> It aimed at efficient conduct of elections and to hold simultaneous polls for LokSabha and Assemblies by September 2018.
FACT 2 : NATIONAL PARK IN NEWS : Kaziranga National Park opens for tourists Kazirangapark, located in Assam, covering an area of 430 sq.km is also famous for three giant herbivores: the Asiatic elephants, swamp deers and Asiatic water buffaloes. • It has the highest number of the one-horned rhinos in the world. • It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. • It is demarcated as an Important Bird Area by the Birdlife International to promote the conservation of endangered species.