India at 142nd rank on press freedom index pg.no.8
· The World Press Freedom Index, 2021, produced by Reporters Without Borders (RSF), a French nongovernmental organisation, has again ranked India at 142nd out of 180 countries.
· The Index ranks 180 countries and regions according to the level of freedom available to journalists.
· The Information and Broadcasting Ministry was delegated to look at the freedom of press index.
Special Task Force to monitor J&K government employees pg.no.8
· The J&K government constituted a Special Task Force (STF) for identifying and scrutinising the government employees who are involved in any cases related to posing threat to the security or anti-national activities.
· STF will scrutinise cases of employees suspected of activities requiring action under Article 311(2)(C) of the Constitution.
· STF will have the ADGP, (CID), J&K, as its chairman and the IGP, representatives of the Home Department; Department of Law, Justice Member and Parliamentary Affairs and the concerned department as its members.
SC paves way for ad-hoc judges in HCs pg.no.8
· Supreme Court activated a constitutional provision to pave way for appointment of retired HC judges as ad-hoc ones for a period of two to three years to clear backlog pendency of cases.
· Article 224A of the Constitution deals with appointment of ad-hoc judges in HCs
· “the Chief Justice of a HC for any State may at any time, with the previous consent of the President, request any person who has held the office of a Judge of that Court or of any other HC to sit and act as a Judge of the High Court for that State”.
Modi to participate in climate summit today pg.no.9
· A virtual event which will reflect the concerns of U.S. President Joe Biden regarding climate change.
· Nearly 40 other world leaders are participating in the summit will represent countries which are members of the Major Economies Forum
· Mr. Modi will address the summit during the Leaders’ Session 1 on Thursday and speak on “Our Collective Sprint to 2030”.