Tamil Nadu man to head SIDBI
· Sivasubramanian Ramann from Tamil Nadu taken charge as Chairman and Managing Director of the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
· Financial institution in the promotion, financing and development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
· Appointment for a period of three years, before this, he served as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of National Governance Services Ltd. (NeSL), India’s first information utility.
India and Russia look for a reset
· India can maximise its global influence by steering clear of alliances and retaining autonomy of policy
· Partnership with Russia will not have the salience of past decades, but will remain important for our continental interests and defence capability.
· Depth of relationship depend on willingness and capacity of mutual sensitivity to core security concerns.
A huge, costly mistake
· The Ken Betwa project will take a tremendous toll on the ecosystem, and its benefits
· The Ken Betwa project to connect 14 Himalayan and 16 peninsular rivers with 30 canals and 3,000 reservoirs in order to irrigate 87 million hectares of land.
· It is India’s first river linking project
IAF chief to flag off Rafale jets during France visit
· The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), R.K.S. Bhadauria will flag off next batch of Rafale fighter jets to India.
· IAF has so far inducted 14 jets, which arrived in four batches
· These jets, once inducted into service, will complete the first Rafale squadron — No.17 ‘Golden Arrows’ — based in Ambala.
EU Council approves conclusions on Indo Pacific strategy
· Council of the European Union approved conclusions on a European Union strategy for cooperation in the Indo Pacific to “reinforce its strategic focus, presence and actions”
· Aim to contribute to “regional stability, security, prosperity and sustainable development,” at a time of “rising challenges and tensions in the region.
· The EU to promote effective rules-based multilateralism, it reiterating its support for ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) centrality.
NASA Mars helicopter makes first flight on another planet
· NASA successfully flew its tiny helicopter Ingenuity on Mars the first powered flight on another planet and a feat a top engineer called “our Wright brothers’ moment.”
· Engineers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, where the mission had been designed and planned for the past six years.
Cuba gets new leader as Raul Castro retires
· Miguel Diaz Canel becomes the first ever civilian leader of the communist country
· As Raul Castro, 89, enters retirement, he handed the all-powerful position of first secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba to Mr. DiazCanel, 60, already Cuba’s president since 2018.
Sensex slides 1.8% as ongoing COVID wave rattles investors
· “The economic impact of the current rise in COVID19 cases will lead to lockdowns across many States in the country,” said Naveen Kulkarni, chief investment officer, Axis Securities.
· Many industries like travel, tourism, restaurants and hotels would experience a significant impact, IT, pharma, metals, telecom and consumer staples would be less vulnerable and provide support
RBI sets up committee to review working of ARCs
· RBI set up a committee to undertake review of the working of asset reconstruction companies (ARCs) in the financial sector ecosystem
· The six member committee will be headed by Sudarshan Sen, former executive director, (RBI).
· It will review role of ARCs in the resolution of stressed assets, including under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), and give suggestions for improving liquidity in and trading of security receipts.
HCL Tech wins order from UD Trucks
· HCL Technologies signed digital transformation and hybrid cloud contract with Japanese commercial vehicle solutions provider UD Trucks.
· It will deliver end-to-end IT transformation spanning across digital platforms, agile digital application development, migration, support and maintenance and digital workplace services.
· By moving to a new, next generation IT environment, UD Trucks aims to leverage the power of cloud and Internet of Things (IoT), it added.
59% of adults in India are victims: Norton LifeLock survey
· The ‘2021 Norton Cyber Safety Insights Report found that cybercrime victims collectively spent 1.3 billion hours trying to resolve these issues.
· “In a year of lockdowns and restrictions, cybercriminals have not been deterred.” said Ritesh Chopra, director, sales and field marketing, India & SAARC countries, Norton LifeLock.
· Around half (52%) say they do not know how to protect themselves from cybercrime