HINDU 4 LINER – ULTIMATE SUPPORT TO UPSC PRELIMS 2019 / 2020| 3rd Mar 2019
Kanyashree stipends are no shield against trafficking
WHAT IS KANYASHREE STIPENDS ?
- It is conditional cash transfer scheme, Kanyashree in West Bengal.
- Thre are 56.09 lakh beneficiaries so far.
- This scheme was brought to prevent trafficking young girls- stop girls being school drop outs and prevent early marriage.
Other details : Launched in 2013, the Kanyashree scheme has two categories of benefits.
CATEGORY 1 : Under the first category or K1 category, Rs. 750 is paid annually to the girls in the age group of 13 to 18;
CATEGORY 2 : under the K2 group, a one-time grant of Rs. 25,000 is paid after a girl turns 18, provided that she was engaged in an academic or occupational pursuit and was unmarried.
EFFECT OF THE SCHEME :
- Experts working with the non-government organisations on the issue said trafficking is a complex problem and one scheme, which provides impetus to girls to remain in school, cannot put an end to trafficking.
- Moreover, they also feel that under the K1 scheme the benefit of Rs. 750 annually is hardly a deterrent to trafficking.
DRDO Chairman wins missile systems award
WHO SELECTED : The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) has selected G. Satheesh Reddy.
WHO IS SATHEESH REDDY ? He is the Secretary of India’s Department of Defence R&D and Chairman of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
SELECTED AS ? He was selected as the co-winner of the 2019 Missile Systems Award.
FOR WHAT ? For his role in the design and development of diversified strategic and tactical missile systems.
UNSC BLACKLISTS OSAMA’S SON
WHAT HAPPENED ? The UN Security Council has designated Hamza bin Laden, the son of Osama bin Laden, under its sanctions list.
WHY ? Calling him the “most probable successor” to al-Qaeda’s current leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.
WHO IS HAMZA ? He is the 15th of Osama’s 20 children and a son of his third wife, Hamza has been groomed to follow in his father’s footsteps since childhood.
THUS !!!!The UN Security Council’s 1267 ISIS and Al Qaida Sanctions Committee listed Hamza ,the day the U.S. announced a reward of up to $1 million for information about him.
FURTHER !! Saudi Arabia also announced that it had revoked the citizenship of Hamza via a royal decree.
WHAT ELSE : The sanctions list subjects him to a travel ban, an assets freeze and an arms embargo.
ASSET FREEZE : An assets freeze under the Sanctions Committee requires that all states freeze the funds and other financial assets or economic resources of designated individuals.
TRAVEL BAN : The travel ban entails preventing the entry into or transit by all states through their territories by designated individuals.
RBI SLAPS FINES ON FOUR BANKS FOR ‘VIOLATING NORMS’
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of
(1) Rs. 3 crore on Union Bank,
(2) Rs. 2 crore on Dena Bank and
(3) Rs. 1 crore each on IDBI Bank and the SBI for non-compliance with various directions, regulatory filings .
- Union Bank and IDBI Bank were penalised for the delay in adherence to RBI’s directives on ‘time-bound implementation and strengthening of SWIFT related controls’ contained in the RBI circular of February 20, 2018.
- Dena Bank was penalised for its non-compliance with the RBI directions issued on February 20, 2018.
- SBI said the RBI has levied an aggregate penalty of Rs. 1 crore on it for delayed implementation of the daily reconciliation of SWIFT transaction logs with effect from February 20, 2018 at 226 “low intensity branches” of the bank.